Saturday, May 4, 2013

May = Marigolds & Bees


May is the time that old friends and new experiences occur in the garden.  This morning the Marsh Marigold is looking its best.  We've had this plant for over 10 years -- since the time when we had a tiny, wee little pond and every year is has given us a wonderful display.  The flowers last about a week and then it's downhill from there.  By July, I don't even point it out to visitors because it looks so scraggly.  But in May it is wonderful.  Sort of like us, eh?


This year while looking for signs of life around the Hakonachloa grass, we discovered that a set of solitary bees has found the area enticing.  Pictured is one of the holes they made.  There are about 8 in all.  I know they are bees not ants because I've watched them go in and out.  Tried to get that in a picture but they wouldn't cooperate.

I'm a bee person so this discovery is exciting for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment